Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Whatcha pack for the hospital

Here is a list of things I packed for the hospital that I actually used

  • Chapstick- the first 24 hours they won't give you anything to drink, so your lips get chapped
  • Underwear a size larger than what I normally wear- your entire body will be swollen after surgery
  • Phone charger- I forgot mine but my mom brought hers :)
  • A dress/moo moo to wear home- you will only want to wear things that barely touch you and are super soft because hydro codeine gives you the phantom itchies
  • Hair ties/clips- forgot mine at home so my mom used these tiny sewing bobbin keepers for my hair, not good, see the Surgery Day post for pics
  • Hair brush- again see hair ties, mom had to use the brush from the hospital
  • Tooth brush and tooth paste- I remembered those and have never been happier to brush my teeth than I was on day 2 at the hospital
  • Sports bra- keeps the ladies out of the way of the incision directly below your rib cage
  • Lanyard- you can clip your drainage bulb to this so you can use both hands to wash up in the shower and brace yourself to try to keep from passing out in the shower
I actually packed a ton more than this for my two night stay and not a dang bit of it got used.  You will be high as a kite and won't be able to do anything that requires much brain power.  Every time I came to I walked a lap around the nurses station and then brought by little self back to bed where I promptly pushed my morphine button and slipped back into my drug induced coma.  Some of you might be braver than me and have a much higher tolerance for pain but I figured ride the gravy train while you have it.  I knew once I got home I did not intend to take pain meds except for bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment