Friday, January 24, 2014

Insurance...Approved

In December of 2012 I decided that the medically supervised diet had not worked and that I was ready to try again to get approved for weight-loss surgery.  I attended a small seminar at a doctor's office with a group of about 10 other people.  The surgeon explained the procedures available in detail and told of the risks and benefits of each.  Then we were all given an opportunity to speak to the doctor individually.  The doctor I chose was recommended to me by my primary care physician and is the head of gastric surgery at a near by hospital.

I met with the surgeon and told him that I wanted the gastric bypass because of my addiction to sugar and my bestie had the sleeve and it didn't work.  He went over my measurements and history and assured me that the gastric sleeve would be better for me especially with all of the female surgeries I had there would be a lot of scar tissue in my abdomen to go through if I was to have the bypass.  So I decided to follow his advise and put in the paperwork to insurance for a approval for the gastric sleeve procedure.  Again I prayed the same prayer that if this was God's will that insurance would approve the surgery quickly and that all of the preoperative requirements would go smoothly.  I agreed with my husband and family that at the first sign of insecurities or doubt I would call the whole thing off.  My mom is a nurse.  She had seen this procedure and wanted to be sure that my surgeon was the best available and would not treat me like "a puppy in the puppy  mill."  Within a week of the paperwork being filed with insurance I was approved for surgery!

I completed a meeting with the dietitian, upper GI testing, and a psychological evaluation.  All of which were a breeze.  Surgery date was set for March 5, 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment