Thursday, January 23, 2014

Insurance...Denied!

After delivery of Chum I got down to 250 pounds.  My gestational diabetes turned into Type 2 diabetes which I struggled to control with diet and exercise.  To be honest the whole situation felt hopeless.  I was busy working, raising two kids and being a wife to Stud Muffin.  I just couldn't stay on track with any diet or "life style change".  So I decided to look into gastric surgery.  I suckered my best friend into going to a free seminar with me to see if either one of us was a candidate for weight loss surgery with one of those big named bariatric surgeons.  I filled out the paperwork and sent in test results from my latest diabetes blood work.  I prayed that if it was God's will that I would be approved for surgery.  If that was not, then to lead me down the path he wanted me to take.

My bestie was approved for surgery and had her gastric sleeve preformed in April of 2011 by the big box doc.  After complications and very little loss she continued to try to follow up with the doctor for help.  With little to no success and absolutely no concern or assistance from the doctor the surgery was unsuccessful.  For the past few years I have seen her struggle through this and it breaks my heart.  There are decisions she made that contributed to the failure of the surgery but mostly I blame the surgeon for not taking time to really try to assist her through the difficulties of having this procedure.

I, on the other hand, was not approved by insurance for the surgery.  So I was told to go on a medically supervised diet for a year and that insurance would then pay for the surgery.  So I joined a program where you bought a nasty array of prepackaged meals and met with a nutritionist once a week to go over your food choices.  I think I lost a total of 30 pounds in the year that I was on the program but as soon as I lost those 30 I found them and some of their friends which put me at 260 pounds by the end of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment