Monday, February 3, 2014

Side Effects in the Months Post Op

So here are a few of the side effects I have had as a result of gastric sleeve...


  1. hair loss-  I have always had short hair but I had to go pretty short from losing a ton of hair.  I started to experience hair loss from about 3 months post op till about 9 months post op.  Now I have all the sprigs of baby hair starting to grown in from where all the other hair abandoned ship.
  2. bathroom issues- Because your new diet consists of mostly protein for about the first 6-9 months post surgery you are not getting enough fiber to allow your body to eliminate waste easily on its own.  For that I recommend asking your surgeon how he/she prefers for you to get in some fiber to keep things running smoothly.  I use Benefiber.  One spoonful in my coffee every morning seems to do the trick.
  3. extreme fatigue- Up until about till December (9 months post op) I consumed about 600 calories a day.  Not much fuel to raise two boys, be a teacher, and wife to Stud Muffin.  For that there is the wonderful supplement B12!  I get the cheap version at Walmart and it keeps me moving and grooving all day long.  Now that I am getting about 1000-1200 calories a day (11 months post op) I am not nearly as fatigued as I was in the beginning.
  4. change in food preferences- I don't like foods that are terribly rich and heavy anymore.  The one food that is coming to mind right now is syrup, frosting, fudge, etc.  One bite for the flavor of it and then I am over it.  Also, smell became super important.  I feel like the mouse of the Disney movie Ratatouille.  With one smell I can tell whether the dish is going to make my tummy hurt before I eat it.  When I have doubted the old snout I have paid the price for hours afterwards.
  5. cheese and greek yogurt are incredible-  I have always enjoyed cheese but man alive that is probably 1/3 of my diet daily in some form or fashion.  I get tired of only eating meet for protein so I use cheese as a low calorie high protein option.  I love Greek yogurt as well to give my sweet tooth a fix.  I like Activia's Vanilla Greek yogurt.
Those are just a few of the things I have found through my journey.  Hoping yours is a success as well.  Please share some interesting ways your body has changed since weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment