Thursday, February 13, 2014

Finding Healthy Foods

My basket from 2 weeks ago
I discovered this hidden little Co-Op through a fellow teacher and now I have developed a full on addiction.  It is called Bountiful Baskets.  I needed a way to get awesome produce at a very reasonable price.  Often times I skipped out on the fresh produce when I doing my usual grocery shopping because I was afraid the food would go bad before I ate it.  The price wasn't helpful either when I could buy frozen or canned for what I felt was cheaper.  Not the case anymore.  I participate in the Bountiful Basket co-op every other week.  With my one basket I am able to cook a dinner 6 nights a week (we eat out once a week) with a fresh vegetable, have healthy fruit and vegetable snacks for me and the family.

Here is how it works...check out the website linked above to find your contribution day and site location nearest you.  They have them all over the US so hopefully you can find one near you.  Purchase your basket using a safe and secure online purchase.  Conventional baskets (not guaranteed organic) are $15 before tax, and the Organic baskets are $25.  You will then receive an email.  Print it or bring your phone to pick up at designated time.  If you can volunteer that is great!  Come early at the volunteer time and help load the baskets with all the wonderful fresh foods.  Bring something to take your basket home in as you will not be given a basket to transport your goodies back home in.

The rule at Mrs. G's house is if it is in the basket then it must be eaten.  So through this little adventure in food I have tried all kinds of different recipes and foods.  The boys (hubby included) and I are now enjoying eating fresh foods as opposed to overly processed garbage!

No comments:

Post a Comment