Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Adopting my dog daughter, Agnes

at the shelter
No lie, I cried and threw a fit like a toddler when Stud Muffin and I found out that Chum was going to be a boy. I had already decided on the name for my embryonic daughter, Lillianne. Her nursery theme was going to be "tea party dress up". Picture it...adorable ruffles, tiny china tea sets perfectly displayed on a shelf on the wall with gorgeous vintage hats hanging below it. Lots of pink. When I saw the sonogram of Chum on the monitor it was hard to deny that we were in fact going to be welcoming another son into the world.  I was so upset that I let my mom and Muffin pick out his bedding.

When I was 26 we had Chum.  By 28 the cervix and uterus were continuing to be drama so we decided a partial hysterectomy was best.  I had my tubes tied at Chum's birth because we were certain that two was enough for us.  But when the news came that hysterectomy was on the horizon I was a bit devastated that the remote possibility of having a child was now gone forever.

I had wanted a dog for our little family since we got our first house our first year of marriage.  Muffin said that the timing was bad and that we just were too busy to have the added responsibility of a puppy.  So I waited for another 2 years.  When Chum was potty trained well I broached the subject again but now with a list of 100 reasons why we should get a dog.  The girls I worked with help me compile what we believed was sufficient enough evidence to support the adoption of a fur baby.  Muffin disagreed.  Finally on April 14, 2012 with my body one month shy of being void of a uterus Muffin agreed to let me look.  I think he could tell that my heart was hurting over no more snugly babies.

I took Chum to the animal shelter in our town.  I had found the cutest dachshund on petfinder named Penny.  And what luck that she was already spayed and doing well with potty training.  They believed she was about a year old.  I figured if this dog was able to handle Chum then she could handle anything.  The two bonded quickly that Thursday afternoon.  I took Conner with me on Friday to the shelter to meet Penny and they immediately enjoyed each others company.  I knew she was the pooch for us.  So I asked if we could take her for the weekend to see how she would do in our home and with the boys outside of the shelter.  The workers actually said that they preferred for people to take the animals for a week or so to see if it was a good match as opposed to taking them and then returning them later to be adopted out again.  Within the first 24 hours I called the shelter and gave them my credit card number over the phone to pay for the adoption because we would not be returning her.  Despicable Me was and still is the most popular movie at our home.  So since she has black fur and is very sweet and playful we decided Agnes was her real name.

She is the princess of our home for sure.  At first Muffin was very stand off with Agnes and would say "I will bond with her on my own terms."  Whatever...she melted his icy exterior and now my Muffin walks my sweet wiener dog on her pink leash with her pink collar and harness (even her poo poo bags are pink) every weekend first thing in the morning.  She has been such a blessing for our family.  She is a companion for my boys in ways that only a dog can be.  She sleeps either in our bed or with Beans in his.  She will sit next to you keeping careful watch when you are sick.  When I am in need of a baby she will lay in my arms like and infant and humor my need for some snuggle time.  She sleeps on a quilt when we are at work and is always happy to see us when we get home.

I think breeder dogs are fine but there is something special about a shelter pup that just exudes appreciation and love.  I might not have a daughter in the traditional sense but I am pretty pleased with my dog daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment