Tuesday, February 4, 2014

5K's for fun?

first 5K, 1 month post op
Walking is a necessity of life for sure.  But for fun?  Yeah right!  That is what my inner fat girls says.  Once I decided to have the gastric sleeve I knew fitness would be a part of my life.  No particularly one of my favorite hobbies but more of a necessary evil.  So almost one month post op I signed up for my first 5K.  My doctor approved me starting early.  From the day of surgery I focused on increasing my walking distance daily.  I suckered my bestie, Jennifer, into signing up with me.  It is a 5K that benefits my school district.  My boss is a marathon runner so he encouraged me relentlessly to sign up.  So I did.  Thanks Matt for the encouragement to take on a huge fear.  I completed the walk absolutely exhausted.  Jennifer got a stomach virus so I walked it alone.  My mom and dad bought me a camel pack so I could stay hydrated.  Since your little sleeve only holds 1/4 cup of anything initially you have to make sure you have water available to you regularly.  It took my tummy about 30 minutes to empty itself of liquid at that point of my first 5K.  I cried when I got back to my car because I was so proud of my accomplishment.
Jennifer and I, 2nd 5K, two months post op
At 2 months post op Jennifer and I signed up to do a memorial 5K for my sweet friend Robby who was killed in Afghanistan in April of 2011. This was his 2 year Angel-versary Run for Our Heroes.  The first year I was too scared to participate.  I vowed that I would never miss another year because of my weight or fear.  We were the last ones to finish the 5K but I did a lot more to honor the sacrifice of my friend on that concrete than I ever did from my couch.  I will be RUNNING it this year!  Maybe not the entire way but I am going to try my very best to run as much as possible.  Too many men and women that defended my rights are not able to run.  I won't take that for granted.
3 months post op, 5K with Tammy and Shannon

I have been so blessed to be surrounded by amazing friends throughout this journey.  In May, at three months post op, I did the Boogie Down Color Run at church.  Joined with my crafty sisters, Shannon and Tammy, and Chum, we conquered that 5K.  We had to ride home in our underwear because we were so messy afterwards.  Next time we are bringing bathrobes with us. We all took turns pushing Chum on his little scooter bike.  At one point I had to carry him on my shoulders.  At the time he was 35 pounds.  By then I had lost a little more than that.  I about died after one block of him on my shoulders.  To think I use to carry that weight around all the time made me realize what I was doing to my body.

8 months post op, Bad Prom
My buddy Tammy has one of the most beautiful spirits.  We met because our husbands started a bro-mance on the golf course the summer before.  Our husbands were convinced we would be good friends because we are both "crafty".  Well the boys were right.  Tammy and I have not been friends for a very long time but she has been such a huge support to me and my family.  She is Aunt Tammy to my boys and one of my favorite gal pals.  So when I saw there was a late night Bad Prom 5K in November I knew that Tammy was to be my Prom date.  My mother-in-law made us matching wrist corsages.  Shannon was suppose to go with us but she got sick.  When you have a good friend to gab with the 3.2 miles fly by.  We were covered in glow sticks and sang and danced through out the night.  Super fun!

The old me would have never ever attempted such activities.  As I continue to shed the weight I feel more empowered to take the challenges with my body to try and reach a higher level of fitness.  I love the butterflies at the starting line and the tears that well at the corners of my eyes at the end of the race.



No comments:

Post a Comment