Saturday, July 22, 2017

Time is Slow when it Hurts

Time by: Kurt Schroder

This beautiful spoken piece stole my poetry loving heart upon my very first listen.  When I first heard it, I thought of how fast my babies were growing, the years of marriage that build upon themselves for my husband and I, and the seasons changing.  The years are short and bliss filled.

One of the things I love most about poetry is that is morphs itself to apply to whatever life you are living in that moment.

"Time...measures the durations joy and pain as well as everything between, it's gracious, and awful, and friendly and mean." (line from Time is Precious by: Kurt Schroder)

Time has been a joy for the 60 years of marriage.

Time is pain as you hold your breathe with each slow labored breath of your loved one.

Time is all the memories of the in between.  It smells like lake water, fried fish, and black olives.  It feels like the rock of a chair on a patio, the rumble of the television playing a football game, and the sticky price tag of a treasure found.

Time is gracious in holding hands and whispered prayers.

Time is awful when it is slow to provide relief from pain and give comfort.

Time is friendly in her opportunities to share stories and reminisce.

Time is mean while you wait for the phone call that will stop time for just a moment.

To my master teachers who are expecting me to turn in an artistic representation of a book I have read this summer, you will be one collage shy of a class set.  

Last summer was a summer filled with books.  

However, this summer has been filled with the words of my own changing soul.  For that, I don't apologize, but rather ask you to see that your student needed to find her own words this summer rather than read the words of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment